Brief: Smile designing is called as Aesthetic dentistry under which a procedure is followed that artistically creates straighter and perfectly shaped teeth using the dental veneers . Dental veneers are customised shells of wafer thin material , similar to your tooth colour. These shells cover the front surface of your teeth to improve your appearance and smile. These shells are glued with your teeth to change the colour,size,shape and length of your teeth. These veneers are really helpful in balancing your smile. Bleaching of your teeth is also a part of Aesthetic Dentistry which is a process of teeth whitening and brightening.
Types of Dental Veneers:
There are two types of dental veneers.
- Veneers made of Porcelain
- Veneers made of Resin Composite
( Usually porcelain veneers are considered superior than resin veneers as they resist the stains better than resin veneers. Porcelain veneers also help in maintaining light reflecting properties of natural teeth. Choice of veneers totally depends upon the kind of procedure or treatment to be performed. The patient may get a detailed information about the selection of veneers from respective dentist. )
Role of Dental Veneers:
Dental veneers are used to correct the shape,size and length of the teeth to bring a balance in smile. Veneers are also helpful to change the colour of your teeth. Following are some of the diverse roles that veneers play in Aesthetic Dentistry.
- Teeth that got discoloured due to RCT ( Root Canal Treatment)
- Stains from Tetracycline or other drugs.
- Excessive Fluoride
- Teeth that are worn down
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Improve teeth alignment
- Aesthetically change the shape and size of teeth
- To minimise the gap between teeth.
Benefits of smile designing :
Smile Designing is one of the main and important aspects to enhance your overall appearance. There are numerous benefits of Smile Designing, Which are following :
- Enhances the overall appearance.
- Brings balance in your smile.
- Aesthetically helps to change the shape and size of your teeth.
- Helps in whitening and brightening the teeth.
- Boosts confidence .
- Makes your appearance more appealing and attractive.
- As we get older, our smile starts fading and Smile Designing helps you to get a long lasting smile.
- People choose botox sometimes to enhance their smile but this will just lead to temporary results whereas Smile Designing has a long lasting effect.
- To aesthetically bring balance in your smile as per your overall appearance.
- Smile designing is not done just to enhance your smile , it also makes your lips and cheeks more attractive and appealing.
Steps to be followed :
- In most of the cases, only porcelain veneers are required for smile designing.
- In some exceptional cases, porcelain veneers are used along with porcelain crowns as a combination for smile designing. Crowns are used when teeth are weak or going under any other treatment as well. Teeth with large old restorations, also need crowns along with veneers.
- Sometimes front teeth are missing which is probably a smile zone, in such cases dental implants with porcelain crowns is the best option before smile designing.
- If your gum tissues show up too much than usual or you have uneven gum alignment, gum lifting will be done using the laser which is also considered as a part of smile designing.
- If only front teeth get veneered , other teeth get bleached to appear whiten and brighten. This is a necessary step to bring a balance in the smile that automatically enhances your smile.
Post Treatment Guidelines:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day.
- Regular flossing and rinsing.
- Use Non-Abrasive or Fluoride Toothpaste.
- Biting on hard objects like chewing the pencils , opening the bottle caps must be avoided.
- Your Mouthwash must be mild and alcohol free.
- Avoid the consumption of high sugar food in order to prevent cavities.
- Avoid the consumption of coffee,tea or soda to avoid the stains or spots on your teeth.
Post Treatment Complications:
There are no such risks or complications involved in Aesthetic Dentistry. But in some rare cases, patients feel some sensitivity issues as their teeth or gum undergo a bleaching process. This generally gets cured itself with the passage of time or with some general medications.
Smile Designing is the best way to enhance your appearance because one looks more appealing and attractive just by carrying a smile on the face. It is a permanent way to enhance your overall appearance and there are no such complications or side effects involved in this procedure. Usually the whole process takes around 14-20 days but if the teeth straightening process is to be done before smile designing, it may take around a year or even more than that depends upon the accuracy or alignment of your teeth. So if you want to boost your confidence while talking , it is mandatory to take care of your oral aesthetics. It is a very simple procedure which can provide you a long lasting and attractive smile.