Hair Transplant is a procedure in which Hair are planted in the bald area of the head through surgical techniques by a Dermatological or plastic surgeon.In this procedure , hair are taken from the back or side area of the head and then transplanted into the front or top of the head.Hair transplants are done to add more hair to an area on your head that may be thinning or balding. It’s done by taking hair from thicker parts of the scalp, or other parts of the body, and grafting it to the thinning or balding section of the scalp. Hair transplant is a typical medical procedure which is performed in a clinic with the help of local anesthesia.
Causes of Baldness / Hair Loss :
There are multiple causes of hair loss But the most common and usually seen among all the causes is Pattern Baldness.
Pattern Baldness : The baldness which is caused by genetics is called Pattern Baldness and this is considered as a result of Heredity. Heredity is the process under which both physical and mental qualities are likely to pass from one generation to another generation.
Some other causes of Baldness are following :
- Lack of nutritional diet
- Too much stress
- Continuous illness
- Hormonal Imbalance
- Medicinal Allergies / Reactions
Types of Hair Transplant :
- Slit Grafts
Slit Grafts: Slit Grafts contain 4-10 hair per graft.
Micrografts: It contains 1-2 hair per graft.
( Note : Both the methods are used in the Hair Transplant Procedure as per the amount of coverage needed.)
Techniques Used for Hair Transplant:
There are two techniques which are used for the procedure of Hair Transplant.
- FUT ( Follicular Unit Transplantation)
- FUE ( Follicular Unit Extraction )
Brief of Procedure :
The process begins with cleaning the scalp thoroughly . After the scalp gets cleaned properly , The patient is given local anesthesia to numb the area around the head so that the patient does not feel anxious or feel any sort of pain during this process.
- It is a conventional or more frequently used technique for Hair Transplant.
- Follicular Unit Transplantation , The surgeon will cut out a strip of scalp skin from the back of the head with the help of a scalpel. The incision for this technique is several inches long.
- After performing the whole procedure, the incision is then closed with stitches.
- The next step is to separate the removed portion of the scalp into small sections using a magnifying glass or sharp knife.
- These are further implanted on the front area of the head using needles and blades which gives a natural looking hair growth.
- Hair Transplant done with FUT technique is considered as a painful procedure and it also leaves some visible scars as well.
- A permanent scar is always visible when the haircut is short and the patient usually feels pain due to the scar.
- FUT is a complicated and painful technique as the patient is prone to several risks like nerve damage or infection as there are stitches on the particular area where the procedure is performed.
- Patients may face severe swelling post treatment as well.
- Follicular unit extraction is a much evolved method in which hair follicles are cut down directly from the back of the head through infinite tiny punch incisions.
- Tiny holes are made in the recipient area of the head using needles or blades and hair follicles are gently placed in these tiny holes.
- Once the procedure is completed , The scars will be covered with bandages.
- This Procedure is done in several sittings. Each sitting is done in a minimum 3-4 hours and for the desired and expected results the patient must visit the surgeon for multiple times unless he gets the desired growth.
- FUE is not prone to the complications as there is no use of Scalpel and stitches.
- FUE is considered as a painless treatment for permanent growth.
- It will not leave any kind of marks or scars post transplant.
- As there are no stitches used in FUE, so the healing is faster and discomfort is lesser than FUT.
Hair Transplant is beneficial For ?
- Men who suffer from Pattern Baldness or Hair Loss due to any specific reason.
- Women who have thin Hair.
- Those who want to maximise the volume.
- Those who lost some hair due to burn or scalp injury.
- Hair Transplant is also beneficial for those , who have lesser hair growth in front or top of the head.
( Note – One must be aware about all the benefits and complications of hair transplant before opting for any procedure . so it will be better to have a proper consultation with your concerned doctor. There must not be any room left for doubts.)
Post Transplant Care & Medications:
After getting Hair Transplant, you must take care of your sore scalp for a few days . This care is a part of Post Surgery precautions to avoid complications. This includes the following measures :
- Pain Medication to reduce discomfort and pain.
- Antibiotics to reduce the risk of infection.
- Anti-Inflammatory medications to keep the swelling down.
- Apply ice on the forehead to prevent swelling.
- Use a cup to rinse the scalp.
- Be gentle while washing your hair, do not scrub too much.
- Don’t Rub your new hairline against the pillow
- Avoid touching the transplanted areas..
- Don’t wash your hair for at least 2-3 days.
- Don’t scratch your scalp
- Refrain yourself from heavy workout or any other activity that causes sweating.
- Say no to Liquor and smoking because it will interrupt the blood supply to the head.
Post Transplant Complications :
Hair Transplant is a surgical procedure and may lead towards some usual complications that most patients experience post procedure. They are as follows
- Swelling on the transplanted area.
- Bruising around the eyes
- A crust that forms on the areas of the scalp where hair was removed or implanted
- Numbness or lack of sensation on the treated areas of the scalp
- Inflammation or infection of the hair follicles, which is known as folliculitis
- Shock loss, or sudden but typically temporary loss of the transplanted hair
- Unnatural-looking tufts of hair
After undergoing the whole procedure of hair transplant, it takes around 8-10 months at least to see the visible results of hair growth. On the whole the whole procedure needs a lot of patience. Hair Growth after the treatment highly depends upon the following factors:
- Scalp laxity, or how loose your scalp skin is
- Density of follicles in the transplanted zone
- Hair caliber or quality
- Hair curl
Hair Fall is a common problem these days and people are opting for Hair Transplant frequently. This has also evolved the techniques and procedures to provide the best results to the patients. Hair Fall is not a major problem nowadays as we are getting a permanent solution with Hair Transplant. But before you make up your mind. It’s very important to consult your surgeon for a detailed brief about the whole procedure. One must follow all the precautions post treatment to make the whole procedure successful.